Transforming our University - our demanding agenda for change
Jan 05, 2010
The University starts the New Year with a new vision, mission and set of shared values; aspiring to be in the top quartile of UK Universities by 2017 measured by ranking in the standard league tables.
This means that we need to transform our performance in the core business of the University - teaching, research and innovation and engagement, supported by mutually beneficial relationships and collaborations.
Our Strategic Plan 2009/10 to 2017/18 defines our six goals which in turn address our comprehensive and demanding agenda for change.
Under the Transforming our University banner on the right of the Staff Channel you can now read the details of our strategic plan. The plan sets out the means by which we will meet our challenges and realise our aspirations up to 2017 when we celebrate 50 years as a Chartered University.
The Vice-Chancellor, Professor Martin Hall said: "The University of Salford aspires to be in the top quartile of UK Universities by 2017. This will require us to transform our performance in our core business. This means we need to achieve standing in the first quartile of UK Universities in both teaching quality - currently we are in the fourth quartile - and in research and innovation, where we are currently in the second quartile."
Professor Hall, will be hosting four informal VC Faculty Events during the next few months to look at what the six strategic goals mean for people in their jobs in a faculty context. All academic, professional and administrative colleagues working in faculties and schools and in central services, with links and interests in schools and faculties, are invited to register for these four VC Faculty Events.
The first event - for the Faculty of Business, Law and the Built Environment - is scheduled for Monday January 18 between 12 noon and 2pm in Peel Hall.
The other events are:
- February 12 - Faculty of Health and Social Care - Venue to be confirmed
- March 2- Faculty of Arts, Media and Social Sciences - Venue to be confirmed
- March 24 - Faculty of Science, Engineering and Environment - Venue to be confirmed
In addition, the VC and Dr Adrian Graves, Deputy Vice-Chancellor, supported by other members of the Strategic Leadership Team (SLT), will be hosting a further six events. These will be open to administrative, professional and academic staff university-wide and will focus on the six goals - one event for each goal. They are:
- Goal 1 - Transforming teaching and learning: with VC Martin Hall and DVC Adrian Graves to lead
- Goal 2 - Transforming research and innovation: VC Martin Hall, DVC Adrian Graves and Ghassan Aouad, PVC for Research and Innovation
- Goal 3 - Transforming engagement: VC Martin Hall, DVC Adrian Graves and Keith Barnes, PVC for Strategic Partnerships and Development
- Goal 4 - Our people: VC Martin Hall, DVC Adrian Graves and Keith Watkinson, Executive Director HR
- Goal 5 - Transforming infrastructure and services: VC Martin Hall, DVC Adrian Graves
- Goal 6 - Internationalising the University: VC Martin Hall, DVC Adrian Graves, Keith Barnes, PVC for Strategic Partnerships and Development and Ghassan Aouad, PVC for Research and Innovation
A web page to register for these six goals events will follow in due course.
Martin Hall added: "The most important part of this whole transformation is to ensure that we get buy-in from the whole University community and to ensure that everyone understands the role they play in contributing to our success. I am confident that 2010 will bring new opportunities and successes to our University and that the commitment that so many of you have shown over the past months will extend to future challenges."
To find out more about Transforming our University please visit http://staff.salford.ac.uk/transforming/.